Sunday, October 16, 2011

Volkswagen Polo: Small but tough.

When I first watched this clip, I thought it was just funny and creative. But then I started to wonder what if a person from middle-east saw this commercial by Volkswagen, would this person feel the same way I do? I wondered. 
This clip is a commercial created by Volkswagen, features a man from middle-east leaving his apartment and going to a restaurant with bombs. At first, he does not look like a suicide bomber but a normal man in a normal life. However, when he starts his car, we can see his scarf that probably only people from middle-east would wear, but I am not sure if such pattern represents any meaning or organization. This man then drives his car and stops right next to a bunch of people who sit outside of a restaurant, this man presses a button and commits suicide. Until then, we know he is a suicide bomber. However, he did not kill anyone because of what Volkswagen is trying to sell that their polo is just strong. 
A lot of people online have been questioning about whether or not this is a racist commercial since these people claim that Islam is not a race, but does it really matter? From my perspectives, although I am not an expert on Islam or middle-east culture or the relationship between them, I just think that if you are picking on other people who come from different race, it's racist. And I do think that this video is pretty self-explanatory. 
As I read other people's comment on this video, frankly, some people don't really care if there's something wrong with this ad but whether or not it's funny. However, one comment really draws my attention: There's one race we all belong to: Human. This line just reminds me of an interview of one of my favorite actor, Bruce Lee, that he once said he no longer consider himself American or Chinese, but rather a human being, all human beings are just one big family under the same sky. Does race really matter? 

The link of clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6rBrJhWAfk&feature=player_embedded

1 comment:

  1. It shocks me that this advertisement went through so many VW worker's heads and they were ok with it. Its a disturbing idea. Also the fact that they use a middle-eastern man as the stereotypical terrorist is unsettling because they start to make it obvious that its a terrorist attack. I dont know what the marketing team at VW was thinking but this advertisement is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete