Sunday, October 2, 2011

To shave or not to shave...

While lifeguarding a water aerobics class last week, I made a rather hairy observation. One of the 9 women in the class had tufts of black hair under her arms, and didn't seem to be bothered by it one bit. She was probably in her early 30's and was Chinese. As I sat and watched, I realized how completely out of the norm this body practice was, in western culture anyway. From around age 11, girls are suddenly pressured to shave their legs and armpits. I suppose it's that whole transition from childhood to pubescent teen. The first time I shaved my legs, I remember wondering how many of my friends had already been doing it and if anyone would notice the newly-exposed skin on my legs. It's a weird concept, to say the least. We're all mammals, we all are covered in hair, and yet the tradition in our society is that women shave and men let it grow out. Take a look at other cultures, particularly Asian countries and even France- it would be completely out of the ordinary for a woman to have smooth legs and armpits. Women who don't shave in our culture are often regarded as "hippies" or odd and rebellious free-will seeking individuals. So just why are western women obsessed with spending thousands of dollars each year to buy razors, shave gel, and Nair? We become consumed with this constant need to upkeep our appearances and fit in with what is normal in our society. Girls are, essentially, acting as docile bodies by repeatedly going out of their way to transform into the modern-day American woman: shaved and smooth.

4 comments:

  1. I'm pretty disturbed when I saw this picture and so I just have to comment on it. I agree that it is part of our western culture that women shave. And from a man's point of view, I preferred that women do shave. Just not shaving is definitely a turnoff unless your a man out of social norms who have a fetish for hairy women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From my perspectives and as an asian from China, I still think that woman you saw, who may be in her early 30's, should have shaved her hair under her arm. It just does not look good and kind of give me a sense that she is dirty, may be. But then you may ask, how about guys? Why is it okay for men to not have their under-arm-hair shaved? To be honest with you, I really don't know and as far as I remember, my friend don't shave their under-arm-hair as well. And I totally agree with Jason above, I prefer that woman shave . May be it's more like a perception, if women want to look good, they should have their hair on legs or arms shaved, and when they have them shaved, I think it's better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think there's any reason women should shave if they don't want. So many things people do are based in society's mass aesthetic but I think that the things nature provides us with are beautiful. I love all things natural and I think the most confident, sexy person is one who can go outside in the body they were born with, unaltered.

    On the other hand I think there is value in fashion as an art expression and if someone is trying to fit a certain for that reason I'm all for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post! In response to the comments, I don't find this disturbing at all. I don't think it makes anyone less attractive. I've met women who don't shave. I think it's wonderful that someone can be that confident in themselves to not care about society's standards of beauty. I don't really see how it makes someone less hygienic. It's just a personal choice to be natural. Just like cutting one's hair short and "boy-like," I'd imagine not shaving to be freeing; you would feel unbound by certain expectations. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but saying that women "should" shave is a little insulting. It might be your personal preference, but you don't sanction what women should and should not practice. It doesn't make someone better than another. I would say most women do shave... I do. But that doesn't make not shaving any less beautiful.

    ReplyDelete