Sunday, October 2, 2011

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

My roommates and I watched Kanye West - Runaway (Full-length Film) - YouTube this past weekend, and I just loved it. There is so much symbolism in it that I don't know where to begin. If you've seen it then you know that plenty of issues are covered, and if you haven't it's actually a really good film. Ok, now for body practice. There are multiple forms, from the beautiful girl being rescued by a rich man who shows her off to his friends to a wealthy dinner party of negroes being served by a white woman. These might be stereotypes as well, but really aren't they the same thing? It's a body practice so a lot of people do it. Of course the beautiful woman is going to be helped by the man, of course he's going to take her in, of course he's going to try to manipulate her to his lifestyle, of course there's going to be conflict. Why do we go through it?

In Kanye's contradiction video I am surprised that he has beautiful dancers as well. In the video everything is opposite as to what is normally portrayed in society, but when the dancers come out, they are traditional ballerinas. It could be my favorite part to the video but it is interesting.

Body practice was too difficult for me to really narrow down because there's so much of it.

1 comment:

  1. Although I have not yet finished the whole film, I still love it. I just thought that it's beautifully shot and am a fan of Kanye West. I am not sure what the title "Runaway" Kanye wanted it to mean, or how he wanted the title to relate to this clip, I was thinking that, like you mentioned that everything is opposite as to what is normally portrayed in the society, may be that was why the title is named "Run-Away", as like run away from the traditions, rules and norms.

    ReplyDelete