Sunday, October 2, 2011

Staying fit and active

When I googled popular body practices for teenagers, almost every link was exercise tips, healthy eating information, and yoga. There were a few tattoo and body piercing links, but other than that it was fitness things. This is our body practice. Every day I go to exercise at the Rec Center after class and there are so many people working out, whether they be lifting weights, running on the treadmill, or working on the eliptical. I think exercising is especially popular in teenagers because we are all judging ourselves when we are growing up and we are being judged by others as well. We all want to look good and feel good, because when we get compliments on how good we look, we feel a lot better about ourselves. Those teenage years can be so brutal. There is bullying in junior high and it doesn't stop when we get to high school. That is one reason why our culture is "exercise, eat healthy, stay fit."
Another reason we are so eager for this praxis is when we exercise, we feel good. It's like what Robin was saying in class about when he went running. He felt horrible starting out and didn't want to run, but as he kept going his body started to feel better and he continued on until he finished. I know that when I go to the Rec Center I want to turn around when I am walking there, but when I am in the middle of my workout and when I finish, I feel so good and I'm happy that I went to workout. Our docile bodies are eager to stay in shape and stick with the cultural practice. No one wants to do it, but that feeling that we get afterwards is so addictive and makes our self esteem rise, therefore raising our self confidence as well. We all want to fit in and feel good around our peers. Part of that is also because it is what is forced into our thoughts every day. As I said earlier when I googled this, there was a ton of body tips. We are pushed by everyone to get healthy and have fit bodies, which is good, but some times it gets a little over powering. I think this topic goes with what we have been talking about in class with Bordo's piece and the Dove Beauty ads. Sculpting and perfecting the body is always going to be a popular practice throughout our culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment