Sunday, October 16, 2011

Terrorist Ad

When I watched this I was shocked. My first thought was how could someone even think this would be an okay thing to do an ad on? It depicts an East Indian man as a terrorist going to do a suicide bombing and shows all of the innocent lives he will be taking, and then when he detinates the bomb, the car holds the impact in because "although it's small, it's strong." This is such a touchy subject and for VW to think it would be something to create an ad about is disgusting. To me, I think this shows how much our culture is uncaring to such a severe topic like terrorism. People don't take something like this serious, and it is very serious. Just like when someone was talking in class about the football game on campus when there was a moment of silence for people who's lives were taken by the 9/11 terrorist attack, and someone was booing because "the game was supposed to be a fun time." It is so sad that there are subjects in our culture who are so heartless to this fact that innocent lives are being taken in such brutal ways. This ad also shows how our culture judges people. The man who is the terrorist is middle eastern. Whenever we see someone wearing a turban or we can tell that they are East Indian, we tend to judge them and think they are terrorists because of the Islamist terrorist organization Al Qaeda. We tend to classify everyone of that race to "terrorist." The fact that the man is of that race supports my idea. I couldn't believe this was created when I saw it. I'm glad it was banned and I feel embarrassed for VW that they would think it would be okay to create an ad like this.

2 comments:

  1. Ha, we did the same advertisement! Once I clicked publish post, I saw yours right under mine. But anyway, I totally agree with you that our culture is so uncaring to such serious topic like Terrorism, and not just Terrorism, but a lot of sad and breathtaking topics like poverty and famine. I just feel like that we are already used to it that as long as such topic does not happen to us. It's sad indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, as long as it doesn't happen to us, we don't think about it in such serious terms, which is really sad. And yes there are many different topics that we need to take more seriously along with terrorism I agree.

    ReplyDelete