Sunday, October 23, 2011

control

All my life I've been more stressed out than the average person. I have generally high anxiety most of the time, due mostly to one singular issue: I am uncomfortable in situations out of my control. This may seem like something everyone deals with, but for me it's to an almost ridiculous extent. Every since I was small I've made sure only to place myself in situations where I am in complete control.
For example, where some people enjoy the thrill of roller coasters and haunted houses, I can't stand these situations because I'm not in control of my body.
Throughout the years I've tried many outlets to keep this stress under control (ironic huh?). I spent years playing and writing music and talking to both loved ones and professionals. I've had problems with various drug addictions and other self-destructive activities, but recently I have found what seems to be a fairly consistent aid: biking. As in bicycle, not motorcycle.
When I'm riding my bike, I'm 100% in control of what I'm doing. It also gives a perfect time to 'de-stress' in between my schedule. In between classes and work it helps me take the focus off trying to control my whole life and places the focus on the world around me. Being in traffic actually forces me to take my focus off of the rest of my life. It helps me do less over-thinking.

4 comments:

  1. I find this to be true too. My freshman year here I took a seminar called My Other Car Is My Bicycle, which probably helped me survive my first semester at college. I got to do things other than study or go to labs. It was an escape for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way about always needing to be in control. I always feel sick to my stomach when I'm in unfamiliar situations and freak-out ahead of time. Exercise definitely helps reduce this unnecessary stress, thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, this is exactly like my friends!!! It's so hard when one gets into these situations to maintain composure and ever feel confortable. i always felt that putting on a familiar song always helped me feel in control.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same feeling as well. I only make the decision which i can control, but i will also try something that are little bit risker just because the more i do the more i can control. So dont hasitate to try something that are little bit out of control, that is how you can learn things.

    ReplyDelete