Sunday, October 23, 2011

Sunday Funday!

Ever since I can remember, every Sunday my family would have dinner together. We would do appetizers, my mom would make recipes passed down through the years, and we would have a big dinner with turkey or ham and all that good stuff like mashed potatoes, or we would barbecue. My family has been having these dinners since before I was born, and we've had them throughout the years until recently because my Nana, pictured above, has trouble moving around and traveling 45 minutes from Minneapolis to Rockford takes a lot out of her. Growing I was constantly taught how important family is, and having these family days on Sundays proved that point. My sister's, cousin's, and my birthday are all in the first two weeks of June, so my family would just throw a big birthday party for all of us at our old house when we were growing up. All of our extended family and family friends would come over and we would play games and hit a pinana. Along with the family dinners, we would have these every year and it was so nice being surrounded by all of my family.

Family is such an important part of everyone's lives. They will always be there to support you and care for you. If I wasn't taught the importance of family growing up, I don't know who I would be today. I am so close with my family and am such a loving and caring person because of them. I will always have someone who will be there for me whenever I need help, or someone to talk to when I miss home, such as my sister, cousin, or mom. They would drop what they are doing to come here spend some time with me when I'm missing home and family. Everyone needs someone they can turn to when they need help, and family is a great example of that. My family has definitely contributed to my story and has shaped me into the person I am today. I look forward to the future dinners when it will be mine and my sister's job to create a Sunday dinner together for our families and we can show our future kids the importance of family just like my parents and grandparents did to us.

5 comments:

  1. This is really cute and I relate because I have always had dinner with my family on Sundays too! Even now that I don't live at home I continue to go spend time with my family every Sunday. I agree with you that family is important for everyone; I think a person's relatives really can shape who they are. I only wish that everyone had a safe household that was as together as mine and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am jealous that your family is this close. My family hardly ever spends time together, let alone a single meal. My roommate is like that too, she goes home every Sunday to spend the day with her family and I am so envious. I've been around families like yours and I just makes me so happy, but so sad that my family is in a different situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can definitely relate to this story, too. Although we didn't get together every Sunday, my family always tried to have dinner together at least once a week. It's so important to have that time together and I feel really lucky to be a part of it. It's taught me a lot and helped shape me into who I am. I also wish everyone could have the chance to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just like above, I can totally relate to this story, even though I am far away from my family. There is no way I can disagree that family is important for everyone and family helps shaping one's everything. Kelly, I just wish that your situation with your family will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish that everyone could have this closeness that myself and others as stated above have with their families. It is such a great feeling to have and I hope that whoever doesn't have this kind of relationship will create it with their families soon, or develop that close relationship with their own families in the future. It is comforting to know that someone will always be there, and Kelly I hope you can find that with your family!

    ReplyDelete