Sunday, October 2, 2011

Beauty=skinny?


Image of Women in Tang Dynasty

I growed up with having lots of female friends around me, they are all different except for one thing: The grils are all worrying about their weight. I guess no only just the women around me, but the whole society is thinking skinny is better. When i google"loss weight" , there are 65,200,000+ results shown on my screen and when i try "gain weight", there are only 1,170,000 results. People have created thousands of method to make their bodies "Skinny" like 21 diet plan, apple diet plan and so on, and for body practise, people are working out in the gym, taking weight lossing pills, drinking low-calorie beverage, keeping diet and even taking the surgery in order to get rid of their body fat.
Does the skinny women look better in our society?Yes. Dose they always look better? Maybe not. I guess at least people in the Tang Dynasty of China(618-907AD)will say skinny women are looking terrible. Almost all the women in the paintings during Tang Dynasty are looking puffy, and the histroical documents shows that people in Tang Dynasty thinks fat girls are sexy. I guess McDonals would be the most poplular resturant if it opened in Tang Dynasty.
Our body is docile and it reflects our culture, it changes as the value changes. We are becoming Skinny if our culture thinks Skinny is beautiful, our women will are have big breast if our men think it is sexy.

1 comment:

  1. You are absolute right that girls worry about their weight and I feel like they worry more about their weight than health. And I am really curious that while in the Tang Dynasty in China, who brought this thought to them. As far as I know from the history of that period of time, there was a famous queen whose last time was Yeung, everyone thought she was prettier than beautiful. However, a lot contemporary TV shows portrayed her as a average or skinny lady, not a puffy or overweight lady, I wonder why, or it' just that people are not yet used to seeing overweight actor as main actor on screen.

    ReplyDelete