Sunday, October 23, 2011

Ever since I can remember..

Ever since I can remember it was enforced by my parents, or more specifically my mom that I would be in girl scouts, do cheerleading and get a job in high school and go onto join the Greek system in college wherever I ended up going. Both of my parents have always talked in a matter as if they just assumed I was going to college, no questions asked. I never even brought up the idea of ever doing anything else with my life besides graduating from high school, going to college and getting a job and getting married. My grand narrative has been set out for me as long as I can remember in my 20 years of life and I have never stepped outside the boundaries of it so far in life. I think that these values of what I should do with my life were instilled in me when I was young and I agreed with them. On the other hand, my brother had these values instilled in him but he rebelled against them. They aren’t for everyone obviously but it was something I wanted for myself as well so I didn’t have a reason to rebel against them. My Grandpa always told me that I had to go to University of Minnesota and if I didn’t like it I could transfer. I always kind of ignored his “grand narrative” for me and didn’t take this seriously even though he was serious about it. I didn’t even want to go to the University of Minnesota but last minute I changed my mind but I wouldn’t say it was because of him although he was happy with my decision. Both of my parents went to college so it was expected that I would do so as well. I really never thought about not going to college or any other options that I could do because I just expected it of myself because that value of education had been enforced since I can remember. I would say that I would step outside of the grand narrative my parents have re-enforced my whole life if I had a reason to but I have no reason to complain with how my life at this point and I think I chose to do the activities my mom wanted me to do because I also wanted to do them. Maybe because I expected it of myself or maybe she made it sound fun my whole life or just because I by coincidence wanted to those activities as well but it ended up that way. But I guess you could say the values and expectations/this grand narrative of my life that my parents expect that has been instilled in me since I was very young have stuck and whether this is a good or bad thing, I can’t complain.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to some extent about mapped out lives and being held to a standard that was not decided by you. I was always told what was best for me and I chose those options and made them as fun as my parents told me they were. I wonder now whether I would have had a different experience with those choices if I did not have a preconceived ideas about them.

    ReplyDelete