Sunday, October 23, 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY9b6jgbNyc

Fix You by Coldplay


This may come to a surprise to you, but this particular song has touched me on a very deep level. Interestingly enough, the song didn't mean anything to me at first. I just thought it was a great song and I really really enjoy Coldplay. However, I was having academic issues at Brown University and became incredibly depressed. My mom and dad have been incredibly helpful in supporting me through that horrible time. However, I didn't fully appreciate the efforts and love that they gave me during that time. Looking back, I never really appreciated what my parents have done for me over the years. Let's be clear, I have been appreciative, but not to the extent that they truly deserve. I was also still in my rebellious stage, so the advice that my parents were throwing at was bouncing right off me. As I was driving around during my return from a brutal spring semester, I turned this song on and BAMN!!! The words hit me so hard, I was crying in my car: "Lights will guide you home And ignite your bones And I will try to fix you."

You might call it a revelation, but I honestly, for the first time, felt true appreciation for what my parents have done for me. They have tried so hard every SINGLE day to try and make sure I'm happy. I cried not only for how fortunate I was, but also, how I hadn't realized my fortune. I went home that night, and hugged both my parents while tearing up, telling them how much I loved and appreciated them. Ever since then, I have listened wholeheartedly and respected the advice that my parents lay out for me and I continually make sure that I let my parents know how much i love and appreciate them.

1 comment:

  1. When you try your best but you don't succeed, when you get what you want but not what you need, when you feel so tired but you can't sleep, stuck in reverse......

    These are just best lyrics ever written, truly amazing. I am so touched and I never got bored listening to this song, it's like a time machine that brings you back to your memories.

    ReplyDelete