Sunday, November 20, 2011

Tiffany and Co.
















This is an ad for Tiffany's holiday ad campaign. Their ads are pretty classic examples of romance. I really liked this one because it's just simple and sweet. It portrays the cozy feeling of the holidays and being close with your loved ones. The picture is of an assumed couple huddling close in the cold at some cafe as symbolized by the background and the two coffee cups. It's an intimate picture with their faces really close looking as if they're leaning in to kiss. Under the table you can see the man holding a little gift from Tiffany's-pretty obvious with the blue box against their black clothes-ready to surprise his girl (girlfriend, fiancĂ©, wife). It's simple and elegant, but it clearly shows romance mixed with the holiday mood and the man wanting to get a gift for someone he loves. The ad is pretty straightforward to me, and just from one glance I got the warm and happy feeling that made me smile and begin to space out and think about romance and holiday time. I’m sure many people, especially men, don’t feel this way with all of the ads nowadays, but it stirred up some feelings for me.

I think the ad is a representation of a romantic gesture. It’s trying to illustrate that if you really care about someone and want to give them something to show how special that person is to you, then buying a present from Tiffany's is the right thing to do. The ad is making an emotional connection with people and getting the image in their minds that if they buy a gift from Tiffany’s maybe they can be the happy and supposedly in love couple shown in the picture. This kind of ties into our culture of gift-giving around the holidays and the idea that you should give people presents if you really care about them.

3 comments:

  1. Jewelry ads I believe are quite humorous on how they work. It is not just Tiffany and Co. but also Kay jewelers, Jared, Wedding Day and all of them are genius in how they work. In the majority of the ads they show the man giving his wife/girlfriend/fiance jewelery and how she just lights up and they kiss showing their true love for each other. Touching and warming they are however, I am not fond of how this implements the idea that men "need" to buy jewelery for women for them to be loved and women will only love a man who can buy them jewelery which is hardly true. Yes, woman do like the gift of jewelery but true love is not found in diamonds or any other material commodity and should be found in the people themselves. Our society's ads are pushing for people to be materialistic and buy love. There needs to be more ads of the actual true love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the comment above... I was actually just thinking about this the other day. The commercials are so stereotypical and lame. I think a good ad would be clips from actual proposals. I feel like those are so heartwarming, romantic, and REAL. The authenticity of real proposals are what evoke authentic emotions in people. I understand this couldn't be in a commercial, but I feel like it's so cute and real!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnVAE91E7kM

    ReplyDelete
  3. This picture portrays something very romantic. I was going to post a picture of a cafe. There is something very intimate about small, warm cafes I think. And the fact they the couple are sitting so close, and look so in love makes it even more romantic. The snow in the ad also adds a sense of romance to me. I think of people kissing when the snow is falling slowly around them and that makes it feel more romantic.

    ReplyDelete