Saturday, November 19, 2011

*sigh*


The Scene illustrated above was my favorite part of the whole movie, it even made me want to watch it again. A lot of things happened in the last scene prior to the picture above starting from the locker room to the game scene. This scene was very relatable to many people which is why I think it managed to get many audiences hooked. It was a scene that brought up feeling of courage, hurt, perseverance and love. All of which are very sensitive topics to many people when it comes to romance.
From the part when she walks into the locker room she uses words that make her seem like the bigger person, ‘I’m not here to fight with you Austin…I know the person who wrote me those emails is inside of you..’ So even though she was beat up and hurt she still showed sympathy which made me personally relate to how she could have been feeling. The final part when Austin ditches he’s sure path for success just to be who really wants to be and to be with was , in my opinion, a deal sealer,’… I’m sorry I waited for the rain’.
The feelings I described above were from a feminist point of view, watching the movie with my brother made me realize how our perspectives where totally different. To him the movie was so cliché and fake, unrealistic. In his opinion it was all a fairytale. I think this goes to show how in society women are more emotional, nurturing, and always fantasizing, and men more factual and realistic.
These characteristics are even portrayed in the movie and in some sense it is what makes the movie a good romantic. You have the hopeful poor girl, who falls for the guy she feels she can’t have and the rich boy who at first is unable to accept who he has fallen for but in the end ends up sacrificing everything…How sweet right?  The whole element of sacrifice is one that makes romance romantic.  Through sacrifice there is no reason, no logic, just intuition and love (an unexplained phenomenon).
The message in the movie: that love between two people conquers everything. Do I agree? No. But for some reason it seems like that is what this movie exerts. This is because after the scene with the above picture, Sam realized that she actually wasn’t poor. That her father had left her a whole lot of money she could use for her college and even for her new found love if she wanted to though this was not directly implied. So even though the two scenarios had no linkage whatsoever the movie made it seem as if they where direct consequences of each other in the way the scenes were set up. This victory of love is also illustrated during the homecoming, that is, because of this ‘spark’ the two generated they managed to be selected as the winners.
I agree with the fact that it is a fantasy movie. And to helpless romantics like me, it provides us with a window to re-live the same moments over and over again because we cannot experience the same feelings ourselves and so have to settle with the contentment  from the hope the movie gives us.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree with your last paragraph more. Romantic movies definitely help people live out their romantic fantasies through the characters being portrayed in the movie. I don't understand romantic movies myself, but then again I'm a stereotypical guy. My girlfriend loves them however, and watches them all the time. She constantly tells me that they remind her of some of our romantic dates and that the movie allows her to relive those moments. So if romantic movies keep women happy...I'm all for them.

    ReplyDelete