Sunday, November 20, 2011

Permission

I don't understand lacking of fact in this situation. I was raised Roman Catholic, but that doesn't hinder my view on fairness. Treat others as you want to be treated. I don't want to be outcasted, assaulted, hurt, betrayed, belittled. That usually doesn't happen very often for me.
This video is so sad to me. Although not a homosexual myself-I almost feel left all alone after watching this. I don't think I would be okay with asking people for something I thought I was entitled to. According to www.m-w.com, romance is defined as something (as an extravagant story or account) that lacks basis in fact. Lacks basis in fact is what I think of when I think of the ban on gay marriage. I think the problem is that even thought we have a separation between church and state, it's not a clear defined line.
Laws are amended all the time to suit majority needs. Sometimes it takes longer than others but at the same time, I don't think this is a new subject matter presented. Everyone wants to be loved, to be cared for, to feel wanted; so when is it okay to deny that to people?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdvWUEUQDfE&feature=related

This video is from the Sixth Annual Media That Matters Festival. It's a clip that is asking the question: Whose permission would you need to get married to the person you love. It's a short, minute long clip of a nervous, white male adjusting his tie, going door to door asking for Megan's hand in marriage. We don't know who Megan is. The first house is a suburban stereotypical house. The man goes to knock on the door where an older, bigger, white gentleman answers. With sweaty palms, the younger man anxiously asks for Megan's hand in marriage. The older man, who could be considered Megan's father replies "Alright Son" without showing any emotion.
The younger man graciously thanks him and proceeds on his way, into another stereotypical suburban home. I at first thought he was just walking into his own house, but then he asks for Megan's hand in marriage again. And again. And for all purposes of this video 260 million more times. I think it is interesting that the video is predominately white individuals. I think represents that stereotypes are not always true. the It's very moving, seeing someone ask 260 million people so that one person can marry one other person. 260 million people are involved for making the lives of two people better.
The song in the background is a very upbeat song musically, but lyrically is just sad. It is I Don't Blame You by Cat Power. "Been around the world, in many situations. Been inside many heads in different positions. Just because they knew your name, Doesn't mean they know where you came from. What a sad trick you thought that you had to play. But I don't blame you" are the lyrics that play in the background. That's not how the song goes, they cut and pasted it so the lyrics would fit the meaning of the film. It's all about people assuming they know other people just based on a few things. People having to compromise to others' needs in order to survive.
I think everything should be fair. Wouldn't that be nice. But it's not ideal, it won't happen. But this add just makes me so empathetic towards homosexuals for having to ask to marry. While I don't think people need to be married to be happy, I do think they should have the same rights. It's like the civil rights all over again. I do not like conflict, it bothers me, it makes me sick. Doesn't everyone just deserve to feel like they belong? I think that what gets me the most, a sense of belonging. As outcast people are alone, depraved, and possibly even unhealthy. I think it takes a long time for someone to realize that he or she cannot make it on their own. Everybody needs somebody.

No comments:

Post a Comment