Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pandora: Escape Reality

Apparently I am part of the minority due to the fact I have not seen the entire Avatar film. I know, I know, how could that be? I have never gotten around to actually sitting down to view the movie in its entirety and here's why: 1. The concept never appealed to me very much. 2. Hearing about all of the hype and being surrounded by the entire stigma of Avatar sort of made me feel like I didn't even need to watch it (because of hearing so much about it already.) However, after viewing the different clips in class, I must admit I’m now slightly tempted to watch the whole movie. It was different than I expected mostly due to the exquisite camera work; it takes the viewer away to this enchanting state of mind. I definitely fell for this magical essence it’s able to capture.

Therefore, on account of my situation, it’s a little difficult for me to pick out a clip that hasn’t been discussed in class already. I don’t have much more to go off of than what was introduced. Instead, I will attempt to do my best by analyzing the rhetoric and politics of Pandora and its representations as a whole based on what I have been subjected to. Everything glitters and glows. The different signifiers such as the whimsical fluttering seeds, sparkling vines dangling from trees, and the incredibly vast abyss of trees and mountains are all signifieds that create a dreamy far away land. This place and feel causes the viewer to become consumed by such a beautiful location. They are able to get lost in it.

The ethereal-like construction of Pandora is a major reason why Avatar is so greatly accepted as well as also greatly rejected at the same time. Many people love the ulterior reality, because they crave the escape factor. On the other hand, a lot of people are opposed to this idea of a new world that could never actually be real. They don’t like this large gap between reality and fantasy and have a hard time connecting with something that is so far fetched. This is where the 'Post Avatar Depression' comes in. The way in which Pandora is presented is so convincing and promising that viewers actually feel the effects of depression after the movie ends. They are forced to come to terms with the fact that they will never actually be able to reach this highly sought after, ultimately forbidden, place which encapsulated so much beauty, intrigue, and adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment