Saturday, November 19, 2011

Mumuration (A Collection of Starlings)

Murmuration from Sophie Windsor Clive on Vimeo.



This video illustrates and embodies the romantic in many different ways... and by doing so, it evokes emotions and feelings that can seem unexplained. It attempts to advance the ideology of the purity of nature and how humans are thought of as separate from nature. This Romantic conception is constructed by how the video highlights intuition over learning, feelings over reason, and nature over civilization.

The starling birds highlight intuition over learning due to their magnificent and beautiful formations; it's natural and intuitive, which makes it almost magical.
The people on the boat are in awe of it, and obviously their feelings and emotions overcome any logical thinking or reason. The music really adds a special effect that brings out the emotive qualities of the picture.
Nature dominates over civilization in this video; the isolated body of water surrounded by trees illustrates the lack of civilization and shows the purity of nature.

These things show how nature is considered separate from humans; we are the destroyers of nature, but also the admirers of nature, as seen in this video. Nature is seen as pure, isolated, and natural, while human civilization in comparison is constructed as being destructive, busy, and unnatural/constructed. This video shows this ideology and makes people think of nature and its positive connotations in comparison to civilization and its more negative connotations. Ultimately, nature evokes more feeling and romanticism than its counterpart.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad that you posted this clip and I have to say that it is a masterpiece of Nature, simply truly amazing and breathtaking!!! I am always fascinated by how nature works and how it presents itself, and by looking at works by nature, I just felt tiny and powerless. I was shocked as I was watching this and with the background music playing, deep down in myself I felt like these starlings are trying to say something by "dancing".

    You are absolutely right that these starlings are definitely illustrating the idea of romance in many different ways and it definitely evokes emotions. I am sure that the girl in the red coat was feeling what I was feeling as I was watching the clip. Sure that view was way more astonishing to her and I DO WISH I WAS THERE!!!

    Yes, I agree with you that we, human beings, are the destroyers of nature, but also the admirers of nature. But like I said above, that explains why nature is just fascinate and mysterious, it works itself out with balance, it heals. From my perspectives, we are created to appreciate all these beautiful works and when we are appreciating, at some points nature and us are connecting and communicating,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way when I watched it, I'm glad you enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete