Sunday, September 25, 2011

Why is Charlie downloading movies illegally? Addicted or what?


Charlie is a friend of mine and I met him in high school. He is a film geek and he knows a lot about films. He admires and appreciates so much what films have been bringing to societies and those who deliver insightful and meaningful messages by making films. As his friend, I am glad that I know someone who is this passionate about something and totally completely devote himself into films. However, there is one thing I do not quite understand, or may be do not quite appreciate is that Charlie does not like to go to movies, to buy or to rent any films but to download them illegally. When a film is released in theaters, Charlie rather wait for the torrent of film is up on the Internet than going to theaters and to enjoy the film with huge screen and surround sound. 
Is he addicted to download movies illegally or what? 
I once discussed this issue with him so I asked him why and one of the responses he gave me was "What if I don't like the film at all after watching it?. At that moment, I kind of agreed with him because I think most of us have said to ourselves "I should have watched the other one" or even said "I want my 10 dollars back!" This explained why Charlie likes to watch movies online or to download them illegally. He does not want to waste money on something that he thinks it is not worth!
I think, not only that Charlie does not want to waste any money, it seems that he either is used to it already, may be he is addicted to it without himself knowing it or he is enjoying the fact that he can get entertainment without spending money and if whatever he is watching is not good, he is not losing anything. He can come up with a hundred of excuses if he needs to.
People like Charlie never thought about giving credits to people who work hard to make films and never thought about supporting local film industry. If this is case, perhaps Charlie is not clear on the concept of admiration and appreciation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment