Sunday, September 25, 2011

Tolerance and Smoking

Before I state the purpose of this blog, I would like to establish that I am not a smoker.

Now since that is out of the way, I consider our society's intolerance of smoking and smokers is astonishing and extremely unique. As an anecdote, my history teacher from 12th grade persistently preached the importance of acceptance of various cultures and how judging others' habits can lead to prejudice. I was a fan of his pedantic lectures, until a class mate of mine walked in to class from lunch break, and my teacher, after catching the scent of cigarette, not threw my classmate out of the class room, but belittled him in front of his peers with anti smoking scolding. I was stunned. Do the adults in our society honestly believe our generation does not know the hazards of smoking?

The position our society has taken against smoking leads me to believe that social construction is in fact cyclical. A decade or two ago, doctors lit cigarettes as they examined the patients, mothers smoked cigarettes while babysitting and smoking was common at a business meetings, but now, smokers are being chased out of bars, apartment buildings, hospitals and many more public places. At this point, I want to let the readers know that once again, I not a smoker, and I do not mean to offend anyone who has lost someone they love to lung cancer or any other smoking related cause. This blog is not about figuring out why people hate smoking, because everyone hates some part of our society, but its is about when and where did tolerance and acceptance merge?

Yes, I strongly believe that tolerance and acceptance are different. Just because we tolerate something, does not mean we have to like it. Social construction is turning this concept of anti-smoking concept into a witch hunt and I refuse to become a part of a movement where imposing my will on someone is involved. Am I too old fashioned in this idea? If so, then I do believe the idea of free will must be old fashioned as well.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you. Someone's choice to smoke shouldn't be looked down upon. It's a health hazard, but so are lots of other activities that seem to be more socially acceptable, like drinking, for example. I am a firm believer in tolerance and respect, and even though one might not agree with an activity, it's not their place to judge or punish.

    ReplyDelete