Sunday, September 25, 2011

In case people didn't read the Becker article, he boils it down all in one simple sentence--and don't worry TA, im not counting this towards word count ;)

No one becomes a [marihuana] user without (1) learning to smoke the drug in a way which will produce real effects; (2) learning to recognize the effects and connect them with drug use (learning, in other words, to get high); and (3) learning to enjoy the sensations he perceives. (9)

WOW! I bet Becker was enjoying his perceived sensations when he was pounding the bong while writing this article. I kid. However drugged up Becker was, though, he nevertheless has identified for his readers an important aspect on the subject within marihuana culture that may replicate itself in multiple subjects within other cultures as well. In fact, I just might contend that any activity a subject might involve itself follows these distinct guidelines before creating habit in that particular activity. For example, lets take my procedure in deciding to use weights during my workout at the gym: I learn through my trainer how to effectively use the weights to build my body; I connect the burn and the ripped feeling with weight use; I enjoy the burn and the ripped body that I now have ;) Unfortunately, I'm lazy, so I don't have a ripped body that people can't take their eyes off. However, the procedure I have laid out for you demonstrates that similar practices are being used within different cultures.

Not only would this procedure use the same procedure as using marihuana, but it also professes a certain body practice. the definition of body practice is the following: a habitual physical procedure made by the body that usually produces a certain political discourse. In other words, without me actually saying it, my body has actually submitted itself to the culture where males strive to be trimmed and toned, even ripped. If you don't believe there is such a culture, just watch Jersey Shore. Gym, Tan, Laundry is their motto. Need I say more?

No comments:

Post a Comment