Monday, December 5, 2011

Black Magic

Black Magic... as bad as the name may sound, when I say black magic, I'm referring to cultural practices such as shamanism and therapy through traditional ques and not those of dark arts or divine rituals. Black magic used in spiritual healing, shaman, is a religion dwelled practice.
Coming from Hmong culture, I've been exposed to black magic, shaman ceremonies, spiritual healings, anima sacrificial rituals throughout my life. Because of so, I've come to understand the underlying basics to how practices works. Only a shaman, who'd go into trances would fully understand events surrounding the rituals. When it comes to spiritual healings, a shaman is paid for his service to help heal that of a self, a person's family members, etc. During the event of so, the shaman leads the ceremony where he or she goes into a trance falling into the world of the supernatural. It is there that they find the reason to the sickness of the person who's in need of healing. From there, pre-prepared animal sacrifices are used as gifts to tribute to the supernaturals in order to leave or help the one being bothered heal. The results of the ceremony, the person is healed.

There are many other forms of black magic used in spiritual healing, some that does not involve shaman intervention. During the earlier years of my mother, she had an eye pain problem that has been going on for days. It came to the point where she couldn't handle it anymore, and so she called her father who is a shaman and lived 700 miles away from us. Over the phone, my grandfather performed a spiritual healing through words speaking the words to my mother as she does the actual physical application to her eyes. Her eyes were immediately relieved from pain.

An experience of mine was at my grandfathers funeral. During the funeral, a shaman does a food sacrifice as a final meal to give to the dead on their journey back to their homeland before going to the afterlife. As I stood there by the casket, I saw my grandfather's mouth moved when the shaman was saying the rituals. My uncle came to me, pulled me back, and said that my grandfather is feeding, don't disturb him. I was shocked.

Few knowledgeable approaches had been made to decipher that of black magic and witch crafts. In non-industrial societies, anthropologists incorporated practices of black magic and witch craft to that of fearing the unknown and waging war. In some tribes, it would be concluded that a person's death was due to the result of nearby villages using witch craft. Scientifically, this approach would look into depths of illnesses and diseases resulting the depth.

Overall, the approach of sciences to explain that of the supernaturals as that of black magic has yet to find solid, correlating evidence. There have been cases such as mind reading and having a visual display of mind processes that can determine the underlying thoughts, but for that correlating to some supernatural occurrences are yet to be revealed. Robin did mention that of a person who finds water through tapping the ground, but it has been concluded that the person is of experience at finding possible water resources. Then there are cases such as hoax of past alchemy proved to be possible in recent scientific experiments.

Now if I told Robin this story, would he believe me? I've underwent first hand experience at these happenings, but would that be convincing? From a scientific view, facts are needed. If I mentioned that when I saw my grandfather moving his mouth, it was after an all-nighter of kneeling, honoring the dead, the scientific approach would be that I had no sleep and saw illusions. Then the facts of lack of sleep and illusion seeing as a results would be used. I however, knew what I saw, and believed it. strial societies,

No comments:

Post a Comment